Skip to main content

Not Happy John......

This self-explanatory letter to the editor appears in today's SMH:

"I saw John Howard speaking on the industrial relations laws, saying he had met no one affected. Well, let me introduce myself, Mr Howard. Last year I was working for a company that paid me an extra $5 an hour for working nights and weekends, and I was able to spend a family fun day with the kids.

I then got fired for complaining to my boss over a racist comment she made. Left me high and dry. I had a full-time job one day and was fired the next after working there loyally for two years.

I now have a new job. No penalty rates for working nights or weekends, which run from 7pm Friday to midnight Sunday. I work a total of 27 of those hours, which is more than half the weekend, with no extra compensation.

The family fun day has died a sad death. My two daughters do not understand why Daddy no longer spends time with them. I work all weekend for less money and less family time, and I feel depressed that all I seem to do is work and sleep, and the kids are growing up without their father's guidance.

All this so my company can send its executives on overseas trips or spend more on fancy advertising or whatever it has done with the extra $250 a week that I previously could have expected for working such hours.

Mr Howard, do you take my $250 a week in company tax and put it towards your re-election ads? Every time I see one of them I will think of how my family fun day was taken away from me so you can play those ads on my TV in the house that I will be renting for the rest of my life because houses are a rich person's pleasure now and that dream has also been stripped from hard-working Aussies like me.

That's me, Mr Howard. Glad to finally meet you. Sadly, I am afraid to leave my name as my company would fire me if it knew I'd complained about my wages."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pentagon's eye-popping spending....and waste!

Only a gigantic bureaucracy could get away with spending of such dimensions - and the amazing waste involved in part of that ginormous spend.   Think US Pentagon..... "From spending $150 million on private villas for a handful of personnel in Afghanistan to blowing $2.7 billion on an air surveillance balloon that doesn’t work, the latest revelations of waste at the Pentagon are just the most recent howlers in a long line of similar stories stretching back at least five decades.  Other hot-off-the-presses examples would include the Army’s purchase of helicopter gears worth $500 each for $8,000 each and the accumulation of billions of dollars' worth of weapons components that will never be used. And then there’s the one that would have to be everyone’s favorite Pentagon waste story: the spending of $50,000 to investigate the bomb-detecting capabilities of African elephants. (And here’s a shock: they didn’t turn out to be that great!) The elephant research, of course, represe...

Video: Israel demolishing a Bedouin village

From Mondoweiss - Israel's supposed "most moral army in the world", the IDF, engaged in immoral, and according to international law, illegal action.... "Israeli forces have demolished every home in the Bedouin village of Khirbet Taha in the northern West Bank district of Nablus during three separate demolitions since the start of the year. Unlike most Bedouin villages, the residents in Khirbet Taha own their own land. However that land falls in Area C, territory in the occupied West Bank under full Israeli control. The village’s only school was also destroyed, leaving children to study in a dilapidated 100-year-old mosque — the only structure left standing in the village. According the United Nations, Israel has demolished half as many Palestinian buildings in the first few months of 2016, as they had in all of 2015. In February alone, the UN found that more Palestinians homes were destroyed than any other month since 2009, when the organization began its docum...

What does a no-fly zone actually mean?

As some countries consider imposing a no-fly zone in relation to Libya, the pertinent question must be what does that mean and entail? FP provides the answers: "It depends on the circumstances. There are two primary types of no-fly zones imposed by air forces. The first is imposed by one military over another, while the two sides are at war. In practice, this type of no-fly zone amounts to a warning from one side that it will engage the other's aircraft if they are spotted in a given territory. The second type, more applicable to the situation in Libya, is when an outside power possessing overwhelming air superiority restricts flights over a given country in order to discourage an internal conflict or humanitarian crisis. This is a relatively recent tactic, which was used most famously in Bosnia and Iraq during the 1990s. No-fly zones are often a compromise in situations where the international community is demanding a response to ongoing violence, but full military interven...